Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wish I Were Here

Or Big Series, Big Innings by David Jensen

I was planning to write a column about a road trip to Seattle, and tell you about the Mariners ballpark. Unfortunately I didn’t have enough money. So I decided to listen to/watch the game and write it anyway.

I took my seat, scorecard and pencil in hand, eagerly awaiting the first pitch. I had a plate of rice and two salami sandwiches. (You call this ballpark food?) I would have killed for a Dome Dog and a Lienies. But I did have some Jim Beam sunflower seeds.

Tonight’s game is as important as a game in April can be. Coming off a 3-4 home stand against the AL East, Minnesota needs to start the road trip right. Seattle needs to see newly acquired pitcher Jeff Weaver do what they’re paying him for: shoring up the rotation behind Felix Hernandez and Jarrod Washburn. With the roof open in the first, Weaver did instead what the Yankees paid him to do, which was turn into jelly and give up runs.

Twins lead-off hitter Luis Castillo worked the count, but eventually struck out. Jason Tyner, hitting second and inspired by Tyler’s column, started a good night with a double. Joe Mauer drove him in with a double of his own. Not to be out-done, Michael Cuddyer followed with a drive of the left field wall over the out stretched glove of Raul Ibanez. Mauer trotted home and Cuddyer coasted into third. Weaver was able to stop the bleeding by retiring Morneau and Hunter.

Ramon Ortiz took the hill for the Twins hoping to continue his sterling start. I cringed as Ichiro sent his first pitch into the cool night air and over the wall for his 23rd career, and second straight, leadoff home run. After giving up a one out single, Ortiz helped himself by starting an inning ending double play.

As the accursed roof closed in the second, both pitchers settled down. Weaver had a 1-2-3 inning and proceeded to pitch well through the fourth. Ortiz hit a batter and induced another double play. With the help of Luis Rodriguez, he retired 10 of the next 11 batters.

Rodriguez played brilliantly. Filling in for Nick Punto, L-Rod* made nine assists with six in a row at one point. He conquered “web gems” with a diving stop and seated throw to rob Ichiro of an infield hit.

In the fifth, Weaver turned into the pitcher who made countless enemies in New York and L.A. Bartlett, Castillo and Tyner hit consecutive singles. With one run in, Mauer showed us again what a great hitter he is by laying down a perfect sacrifice. After striking Dorn out for the second time, he intentionally walked Morneau to load the bases. Hunter came to the plate with a double and a hard hit out on the evening.

The Mariner worked ahead in the count. At 1-2, he grooved a 78 MPH change-up (or a very straight sinker, I’m not sure which) into Torii’s wheelhouse. The result was almost identical to a grand slam I saw him hit off Odalis Perez last year. As number 48 nobly rounded the bases, Weaver was showered with boos as he cursed and wished to God that he were a Big League pitcher.

The bottom of the sixth was an encouraging inning for Twins fans. Ortiz started it the same way he started the first, by giving up a solo home run. With two outs, Jose Vidro singled and Ibanez followed with a double. But Ramon didn’t crack. He got heavy hitting Richie Sexson to ground to third, stranding two.

In the seventh, he again worked out of a Two On, Two Out jam. His final line: 7 IP, 8 H, 2 ER. In three starts, he is 3-0 with a 2.05 ERA, exceeding all expectations. He is truly an inspiration to Carlos Silva, who goes up against Hernandez in game two.

The only misfortune for Minnesota on this night was Hunter hurting his shoulder while attempting to make a diving catch. He was listed as day-to-day, like the rest of us, after the game.

It was an all-around outstanding performance. Let’s hope they can keep it up throughout the road trip.

*The term L-Rod was coined by Lee Hulkonen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm....Leinies.

I hate Jeff Weaver.

Unknown said...

This is exactly what I needed, Jensen. I just got back from Toronto, where all they show on TV is the NHL playoffs and shitty old Comedy Central game shows. Thanks for getting me up to speed.

Good to see ol' L-Rod earn his nickname (again).