Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Never Go Against The Family, Carlos

By David Jensen

This year, perhaps no Twin will be scrutinized more than Carlos Silva. I believe this is the third column the beat writers have devoted to him. Each night he starts, everyone will be wondering who will show up; the reliable sinker baller from 2004 & 05, or the fat load who gave up 38 gopher balls last year. In 2007, it was painful to watch him take the mound. He posted an 11-15 record with a 5.94 ERA. He allowed 12.3 hits per 9 IP and walked 32. Then was yanked out of the rotation and used rarely out of the bullpen. Can we expect him to get better?
He was never great. In his first two years with the Twins, he went 23-16. His 3.84 ERA was below the league average. He gave up a lot of hits, but was usually able to get out of jams. In 2005, I saw him pitch against the Orioles in in our beloved Dome. He pitched brilliantly for 9 innings, but he gave up a two-run shot in the eighth, and the Twins lost in 11. Not a Cy Young winner, but a fine 3rd starter.
Like Tyler said, he is not far from becoming Ponson. Everyday I expect to hear that he threw his back out while tying his shoes, or had to go to the hospital after choking on a six foot sandwich. (But will it be six feet in length or height?)
But maybe Rick Anderson can save him. So I will give him the same deal I gave to Morneau last year. If he has shown a marked improvement by June 1, I will support and cheer him on as a brother. But if he's still serving up batting practice, he'll be Fredo. You're dead to me Carlos! But let us not give up hope yet.

No comments: