By Tyler Savage
Quick question, without looking at the Twin's season stats, which Twin's starter is leading the team in ERA. whoa...whoa...whoa...not so fast, no his name does not start with S and end in antana. Our ERA leader also does not rhyme with cortiz, poof, and he damn well does not rhyme with wonson. Who does that leave left? Poor old defenseless Silva--the pitcher that has been whipped, beaten, castrated, and thrown in the ditch by the Twins beat writers (especially yours truly).
We are still very young into the season, but let's play pretend (this is great journalism) and think about what would happen if Silva goes 20-1 with a 1.00 ERA. If the Chef (I can't believe I used that nickname) pulls this off, he will not be the first Twin to prove me wrong; in fact, he is one of many on a long list of players whom I have labeled with the bum* card.
Here are two huge examples of me being wrong in the past. Let's start with subject #1: David Ortiz. In the early 00's (?), Ortiz struggled with the Twins. When he left, all I could say was good riddance. I also thought that Matt Lecroy would pan out to be a better hitter than Ortiz. Since these delusions, Ortiz ended the Bambino's Curse and damn near pulled off the MVP for the last two seasons. In this time span, all that Lecroy has done, is get pulled out of a game, halfway through an inning while playing catcher (first time since modern stats began). Well...he also made some good chips onto home plate before a few home games in Cambria's putt-putt challenge.
Let's look at my second blunder: Justin Morneau. After the Seattle series last year, I was convinced that Morneau was the Anti-Christ himself. While drunk at a game last year, I told Jensen that I was done with him. Since those syllables, Morneau went on arguably one of the greatest four month streak in baseball, where he hit-in over 130 RBI (not that they even matter...[another story...another time]). HOW DO YOU LIKE ME KNOW MR. SAVAGE?
So...let's start an experiment and see if this really works. Silva: he's a bum! Boof: Double bum! Ponson: the bummiest bum on bum island!
*In my opinion, calling a baseball player a bum is the lowest/most offensive thing that you can call him. It ranks above scrub, weasel, and a never was.
2 comments:
Silva's a fluke this year, go ahead, he won't let me down. Not bad, Cuddyer also did better than you thought he would. I seem to remember the scapegoat posters around the house. I disagree that Boof is a bum however, he's low on experience but has proven capable against those who he has confidence against. As that grows, so will his ability to pitch at this level.
Who's this Cuddyer kid???? I think you might be confusing him with our very own Roger Dorn...
Post a Comment