Tyler Savage
I still remember how young and stupid I was back in the winter of 2006. The free agent signings were flowing, and the Twins were still scratching themselves and waiting at the open starting gates . During this winter, I checked many websites for the latest rumors, hoping to hear when the Twins would sign their first big free agent; while on a break at work, I found who that big free agent would be: Rondell White. Naively, I was pretty impressed with Terry Ryan's find, how ignorant I was. This week Rondell announced himself eligible for free agency, but claimed that he was 99% sure that he was going to retire.
Retirement should be moved up to 100% for White. During his two years in Minnesota, he had 446 at bats. To put this into perspective, Tori Hunter had 600 at bats--in 2007. White was said to be the Twin who could hit 30 home runs in a season, he only hit 11 in a Twins' uniform in two seasons. RBI was not a clutch stat either, he only had 58 as a Twin (even though they do not matter)*.
It wasn't all a loss however, who can forget all the fun that we had at White's expense. Thanks to White, we got to purchase beers for $1.75 at downtown Minneapolis bars (when White was batting, all beers were the price of his batting average). He also had a pretty kick ass spring training in '06.
With all of this in mind, we at the Beatwriters wish White the best in his future endeavors. The more we try to dislike you, the harder it is. It was a good run, but all good things need to come to an end. Tune in next week, when we say our parting shots to Lew Ford--the most popular average player ever to come to the Metrodome.
*Dave I was young and stupid when I said this. I really can only say that I am such an idiot.
No comments:
Post a Comment