Monday, March 31, 2008

2008 Predictions

By David Jensen

Before last season, I made predictions on the division races and playoffs. They turned out to be very poor predictions. So poor in fact, Jim Souhan might have done better. So I put some more thought into this years.

AL

East- New York
Central- Detroit
West - California

Wild Card- Cleveland
Worst Record- Baltimore
Surprise - Minnesota
Disappointment- Chicago
Champion- Cleveland

NL

East - Philadelphia
Central- Milwaukee
West - Arizona

Wild Card- New York
Worst Record- San Francisco
Surprise - Pittsburgh
Disappointment- Atlanta
Champion - Arizona

World Series Arizona in 7

AL Central

1. Detroit - Good pitching, great lineup, great manager. They should have a better September than last the two years.

2. Cleveland- Everything hinges on the Bullpen

3. Minnesota- I have no idea how the Twins will finish this year. I would not be surprised if they finished first, or last. But I don’t think they will finish behind Chicago or Kansas City, could they?

4. Kansas City- Good looking young team. Somebody should tell ownership the Royals are not a farm team.

5. Chicago - If they’re out of the race in July, look for them to pack up the circus and fade away.

Miscellaneous

Team to go 100 years without winning a
world series- Chicago Cubs

Teams the national media won't give up on until September, even though they were out of it in May- Cincinnati, Chicago Cubs/White Sox, Houston, Atlanta and Oakland

Highest attendance- New York Yankees

Lowest attendance- Florida

Teams that won't need new stadiums- Yankees, Minnesota and Kansas City

Restraining orders filed by Bob Uecker- 3

Amount of Christmas presents Carl Pohlad will dump into
Lake Superior in tons-16

Times Tyler will be enraged by "Circle Me Bert" signs- 1377

Times Joe Morgan will go on at great length when someone does something that an eight year old little leaguer could have done just as well- 57

Soulless yuppies who will truly appreciate the Twins, the Metrodome and Baseball- 0

The Twins stadium project will face several more obstacles and construction will halt in late August.


Wishful Thinking

Boston will make a trade with Minnesota that will be looked back on as the single greatest front office blunder in the expansion era. As a result, Theo Epstein will resign in shame and the Red Sox will embark on another 86 year World Series drought.

Fox will disband its sports division and Joe Buck will apologize to America shortly before going into exile in Mongolia.

That's what I could come up with while doing my laundry. I'm confidant they will prove better than anything Jim Souhan and John Kruk will come up with.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How do you leave Boston out of the playoffs?