Saturday, February 2, 2008

Betrayed

Or: Welcome to Edmonton
By David Jensen

I read the news today, oh boy. All winter, the Twins had us standing on the gallows, and this week, the trap door swung open. I read the text message from a reliable source in New York, but I could not believe what it told me. "Johan traded to Mets." My chest sunk and I became sick. Surely they wouldn't do that to us. This had to be a cruel joke. It didn't add up. Why now? Why to the Mets? Who for? Carlos Gomez? How many Cy Youngs has he won? Who else? Three prospects? I'd better wake up now, I must be late for work. But this was no nightmare, and sad confirmation soon slammed home.
Then I was blinded by a thin ray of hope. "Deal pending contract extension." The days wore on and I limped through the motions of life. Maybe they won't come to terms. Maybe Johan doesn't want to play in New York. Maybe the Mets will reconsider. Maybe he'll exercise his no-trade clause and come home and all will be forgiven. But that couldn't happen. If a trade is aborted, things are never the same. The front office would quickly find a new deal. Or Santana's play would suffer. Even if he made it to the end of the season in Minnesota, he wouldn't resign after being treated that way.
Then, last night, my source sent word. "6 yrs 137 million." I went numb. That moment was the closest I've ever came to forsaking the Twins. Worse than any strike. Worse than steroids. Worse than Rick Reed. It was a pain few fans feel. Most fans complain that players have no loyalty. They call the talk radio shows and bitch about Johnny Damon, Plaxico Burress and Jason Giambi going after the big money. But we Twins, Royals, Rockies and A's fans get no loyalty from our franchises. They give us empty talk and cliches about the future and how they'll "try everything in their power...", but nothing ever changes.
I suppose I should take comfort in the fact that Morneau and Cuddyer were just signed to long term deals. But isn't that what they promised us after they won their stadium fight in one of the great bamboozelments of all time? They said they needed it to sign bigger contracts. Sure they signed Mauer too, but all I can think about is how we lost Castillo, Hunter and Santana. It's fitting that days before the trade, the foundation for the new stadium was poured. Pohlad must have been waiting until they couldn't take it back before he pulled the trigger. Be careful Carl, It's a long way until opening day 2010.

No comments: